Skip to main content

Colleen C. Hoff, Ph.D

Individual Adult Therapy, Couples Therapy

5299 College Avenue, Suite C-4
Oakland, CA 94618

CA License #PSY 15791

Colleen C. Hoff, Ph.D, specializing in individual adult therapy and couples therapy
Founder & Personal Trainer

I welcome your interest in working with me and would like to share a bit about myself. I have been in private practice in Oakland, CA for over 20 years. I was originally trained in cognitive behavioral therapy and then time-limited psychodynamic therapy. I pull from these orientations and others in order to best address the issues you would like to focus on. I work with individuals suffering from depression, anxiety, family issues and various life transitions. I also have expertise in providing couples therapy and am certified by the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) as a sex therapist. When working with couples I feel it is important to make sure both partners feel heard and seen by me and each other. It is very important to create a safe environment for clients and particularly those facing sexual problems.

I am also a Professor Emeritus at San Francisco State University where I conducted HIV prevention research for gay male couples and was the Director of the Center for Research and Education on Gender and Sexuality. My academic career and private practice has taught me a great deal over the years and I feel fortunate to work in a field where I can continue to learn and grow.


Individual Adult Therapy

  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Life transitions
  • Relationship issues
  • Sexual and gender identity issues

Couples Therapy

  • Relationship changes
  • Communication
  • Sexual issues
  • Sex Therapy
  • Sexual and relationship agreements
  • Infidelity/broken agreements

Scheduling an Appointment

I am available on Thursdays in person or online. Zoom sessions are also available.

Call 510-484-1185

Fees and Insurance

I do not take insurance, but I can provide you a receipt that will allow you to get partial reimbursement from most insurance providers.